HE&R Recognizes International Day of the Girl 2023
October 11 is International Day of the Girl
In recognition of International Day of the Girl, this email was sent to Hershey Entertainment & Resorts team members.
Today is the global celebration of International Day of the Girl (IDG). For the past 11 years, this commemoration has brought attention and awareness to girls’ rights worldwide. IDG strives to highlight barriers young women face while empowering girls to challenge the norm and advocate for change.
This year’s theme is “Invest in Girls' Rights: Our Leadership, Our Well-being.” According to the United Nations, the world is experiencing a reversal of rights for girls and a weakening of gender equality. IDG raises awareness for a “world where girls have space to shape government policy and spending to inform the rules and norms by which businesses should operate and to direct the priorities for new research and innovations. These examples should not be novelties, but the norm.”
Call To Action
To drive change, UNICEF, select governmental partners and global organizations have issued a call to action to raise awareness of the plight of young girls worldwide.
- Put girls at the center of protection and promotion of rights. Whether healthcare needs, gender equality, or financial literacy, “start with the most marginalized girls at the center” of the issue.
- Recognize, support and celebrate girls’ leadership. Encourage girls to use their voices to advocate for change and seize their potential.
- Introduce and increase programs that improve girls’ well-being. The key to this success is leveraging existing resources and initiatives that could be scaled to reach more girls.
- Ensure information, services and systems meaningfully change. Agencies, schools and medical institutions need to help fight the stigma and mistreatment many adolescent girls encounter accessing essential services, such as sexual and reproductive health needs.
- Make changes to increase and sustain funding needed for important programs to aid girls. Policymakers, government officials and business leaders are encouraged to call for equal and sustained funding of programs and services for girls, including education, healthcare and gender equality.
To help improve girls' lives, start conversations among family, friends and colleagues. Read relevant books with young people, get inspired by and learn about notable female leaders and historical figures, and educate yourself with podcasts empowering and celebrating women.
We can only improve the lives of others when we come together.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company is committed to fostering a stronger internal culture of advocacy and inclusion to help team members share their voices and collectively effect change. We are expanding on existing initiatives and creating new programs to develop additional avenues of progress for team members from diverse heritages.