Hersheypark Recognizes May 2021 as National Water Safety Month
Water Safety is Top Priority at Hersheypark
May has been designated as National Water Safety Month by the World Waterpark Association, the American Red Cross, the National Recreation & Park Association and the Pool & Hot Tub Alliance. Hersheypark amusement park, a 121-acre theme park with more than 70 attractions, a full water park and zoo, is proud to participate in this important observance by promoting water safety this summer.
Hersheypark is home to The Boardwalk at Hersheypark, an 11-acre water park with 16 unique water attractions and one million gallons of water. Opening Memorial Day Weekend, The Boardwalk at Hersheypark is included in the one-price admission to Hersheypark and provides a sweet opportunity for guests to cool off on hot, summer days in Hershey, Pa. Guests can even relax with family and friends in a luxurious cabana complete with complimentary soda, bottled water, towels, and more. Call 855-898-2829 for pricing and to reserve.
As guest safety is the top priority at Hersheypark, we wanted to share some information about the water safety initiatives that take place at The Boardwalk at Hersheypark each year.
Certified and Trained Lifeguard Staff
The Lifeguard staff is well trained to keep all guests safe as they plunge down one of six inline tube, hydro water slides; race again and again on the longest mat racing slide in the world; relax on a slow and winding lazy river; and make a splash on more than a dozen other attractions.
Currently, there are 16 Certified Lifeguard Instructors, who are certified to train lifeguards; and one Lifeguard Instructor Trainer, who is qualified to train the Lifeguard Instructors, on the Hersheypark Team. All Hersheypark Lifeguards are trained and certified through Jeff Ellis & Associates, a leader in water park safety.
Every Hersheypark Lifeguard completes a minimum of four hours of continued in-service education per month to ensure that skills are maintained at a test-ready level. Lifeguard certifications are valid for one year only, which ensures that seasonal team members receive updated training every year.
To be certain that Lifeguards are always vigilant, Jeff Ellis & Associates completes random, unannounced, hidden camera audits of the lifeguard staff while they are performing their duties. These audits include the introduction of a mannequin or live action actor in to the Lifeguard’s Zone of Protection to ensure the on-duty lifeguard is maintaining optimum vigilance. In addition, the training and certification that each Lifeguard receives includes CPR/AED/First Aid for adults, children and infants.
While Jeff Ellis & Associates (E&A) did not present audit awards in 2020, Hersheypark received the score of "Exceeds" on all of the audits, which is the highest score possible.
If you are interested in joining our sweet team, please visit HersheyJobs.com.
Safety and Fun Go Hand-in-Hand
We strive to ensure our guests have fun and stay safe at The Boardwalk at Hersheypark. If you are planning a visit this summer, we encourage you to follow these policies:
- Only appropriate swimwear is permitted. Revealing bathing suits, shorts with rivets, snaps, zippers, metal ornamentation, cutoffs and jeans are not permitted.
- Electronics are not allowed in the water attractions.
- All eyeglasses should be secured with safety straps.
- Aqua shoes are not permitted on the body slides. There are complimentary shoe drops available to guests.
- No metal is allowed on any water slide, so leave those items with a non-rider.
COVID-19 Protocols for The Boardwalk
The Boardwalk At Hersheypark already follows the rigorous cleaning standards from the Pennsylvania Departments of Agriculture and Health and adheres to strict industry guidelines. There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the water and properly treated swimming pool water kills viruses in seconds.
- Guests will not be required to wear face coverings while in the water or on water attractions. All guests 2 years of age and older, including those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine, will be required to wear a face covering while indoors in public areas, and outdoors when physical distancing from others outside your travel party is difficult.
- If a surface is covered in chlorinated pool water, that surface does not require additional sanitization. If a high-touch surface is not covered in chlorinated pool water, it will be sanitized frequently.
- Social distancing will be maintained in all wading pools, including the Lazy River and Wave Pools.
- If lifeguards are providing first responder care (water rescue, emergency treatment, etc.), they will use appropriate PPE for the situation (ex: masks, gloves) and will follow best practices for first responders.
- All high-touch guest items will be sanitized frequently, from tubes and mats to lifejackets.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be in accessible areas, including where guests pick up tubes or mats.
- Chairs and loungers will be sanitized daily and placed in a manner which allows social distancing between parties.
- Cabanas will be sanitized after each rental.