Get to Know Florida Georgia Line
It’s hard to believe Florida Georgia Line was formed, and came on the music scene just five years ago. With the group’s 2010 inception, they have taken the country music scene by storm. This includes the group’s first single “Cruise,” which holds the record for best-selling country digital song of all-time. Since 2013, Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard have been nominated for 38 different awards and have won 17 of them. After opening for some of the top country artists including Luke Bryan, Jake Owen, Dierks Bentley and more, they are currently headlining their ‘Anything Goes Tour’ with Thomas Rhett and Frankie Ballard.
On Saturday, May 2 at 7:30 PM, Hershey will welcome these show-stoppers to the stage at Giant Center. Fans can expect to “Get Their Shine On” with Florida Georgia Line performing all their hits.
In preparation for the show, we were lucky enough to have the country duo answer some of our burning questions and we are sharing the answers with you!
Here’s what you likely already know about Florida Georgia Line:
- They were introduced to the music world through church worship services.
- Kelley went to Florida State University on a baseball scholarship.
- Hubbard was a church worship leader.
- The two met at Belmont University in 2008.
- After graduation they moved in together and had several jobs, while playing in clubs on the weekend.
- All the songs on their first album Anything Like Me, were written by either Hubbard or Hubbard and Kelley.
What you may not know about Florida Georgia Line:
- As a child, what was your favorite family vacation?
Brian Kelley (BK): Growing up in Florida, my favorite family vacations were always the trips to the beach. Anytime we have a break from touring, we still hit the beach to get away and relax.
- When you travel, do you prefer to fly or drive?
Tyler Hubbard (TH): We prefer to roll on the bus. It is our home on wheels.
- What is one experience you try to do in each new place you visit?
BK: We don’t always have the chance to get offsite from the venues, but when we do, we like to hit up the local gym and get in a good workout.
- What is your favorite Hershey’s Chocolate?
BK: The classic Hershey’s milk chocolate bar, of course!
- Would you rather spend the day getting pampered at the Chocolate Spa or riding rides at Hersheypark?
TH: Man. That is a toss-up, but I love the adrenaline rush of amusement park rides and have never been to Hersheypark.
- How do you relax when you’re on tour?
BK: To relax, I love spending time with my wife, playing with my dogs and working on music.
- What is your must-have item(s) with you when you travel?
TH: When I travel, I gotta have my phone, a charger and my beautiful fiancé.
- Describe the feeling you get when you hear your songs on the radio.
TH: Every time we hear one of our songs on the radio it is truly surreal. We are beyond blessed and grateful to country radio. We will never forget the first time we hear “Cruise” on the radio – we were driving and cranked it up. It still feels fresh and exciting with every spin.
- What’s your go-to food while on tour?
BK: Cookies & Cream Quest bars are the ultimate!
- Who or what is the inspiration for your songs?
TH: BK and I have such a wide range of influences that inspire us and the Florida Georgia Line sound, including Wiz Khalifa and Garth Brooks.
- What is your favorite song to perform and why?
BK: It is definitely hard to pick a favorite but we always love performing “Cruise.” It is such a rush to see the crowd explode and sing back every single word. This song has completely changed our lives, and we look forward to performing it every show.
- Are there any pre-show rituals you do before hitting the stage?
TH: Our ritual is to circle up with our band, team and friends and say a prayer together before hitting the stage.
- If you weren’t a singer, what would you be doing?
TH: Honestly not sure – we never had a Plan B.
- If you could pick one person - alive or dead - that you’d like to have a beer with, who would it be and why?
BK: Ellen. She treated us to Olive Garden gift cards and awesome underwear, but we haven’t gotten to share a beer with her yet!
- Tell us one thing people might not know about you.
TH: Fans may not know, but I am kind of a neat freak. Everything needs to be clean and put away.