Eight Reasons to Intern with Hershey Entertainment & Resorts
By Thomas St. Hilaire (2017 Summer Communications Intern)
Applying for an internship can be difficult. As a student at Syracuse University, I often see classmates scrambling to compose cover letters and stressing out about upcoming interviews. Unfortunately, some students exert all of this effort, only to find that their internships were not what they anticipated. Perhaps they did not learn what they had hoped, maybe the internship was not the ideal opportunity or the right fit.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts (HE&R) is different. By interning with this company, you can feel confident you’ll receive a rewarding professional experience.
It starts with a team of professionals that is committed to helping interns succeed. The organization does this by providing insights on different industries, while also providing exposure to alternate professions. One day you might create social media posts for Hersheypark, and the next day might consist of creative work for The Hotel Hershey. Either way, you will leave this internship with an impressive portfolio.
There is also a true sense of friendship. As I prepare to leave and go back to school, I find that my co-workers are now some of my closest friends. The type of experience is not available in a classroom.
The rest of the Marketing & Communications intern team has echoed this enthusiasm and appreciation. That is why Rachel Peters (Marketing Intern), William Alford (Promotions Intern), and Chris Vroman (Creative Intern) have joined me in compiling a list of why this experience is so special. Our time at HE&R was remarkable, and we insist on sharing.
1. Meaningful Work: Some internships consist of busy work, but at HE&R, interns are given high levels of trust and responsibility. Interns work on the same projects as full-time team members, so if you strive to build a competitive portfolio, this is the internship for you.
2. Employee Perks: Free trips to Hersheypark are great, but the benefits do not stop there. Interns are able to tour all of the properties, enabling them to truly understand the company.
3. Teamwork: Interning with this company will provide a new perspective on the importance of collaboration. Different departments work together to achieve common goals, and witnessing this is truly inspiring. Interning with HE&R teaches you to be a true team player.
4. Exploration: Given the emphasis on teamwork, there is also great opportunity to learn about new career paths. No matter what your interests (social media, events, writing, graphic design, etc.), someone is always willing to teach you valuable skills. This interactive atmosphere is perfect for those who want to explore the ideal career path.
5. Work Location: This is a chance to work in Hershey The Sweetest Place On Earth. The historic Hershey Press building is a one-of-a-kind office setting that features multiple restaurants and a gorgeous view of Chocolate Town, U.S.A. . When you are not in the office though, you are interacting with people in Hersheypark or one of many resort or entertainment venues. It doesn't get any better.
6. Professionalism: An internship is more than just a job description. HE&R will help you develop professional skills. Whether it is scheduling meetings or working in a deadline-driven environment, you will walk away with a greater understanding of what it means to be a professional.
7. Opportunity to Improve: This internship is a chance to improve areas of weakness. When interning here, you will receive constructive feedback and opportunities to grow.
8. Desserts: This undoubtedly deserved its own section. Birthday cakes are an office staple, and the occasional chocolate/dessert samples can be found throughout the day in the lunch room. When looking at the other benefits of interning with HE&R, this is the icing on the (chocolate) cake.